A hand-knotted oriental rug is more than a floor covering—it is a work of art. Like a fine painting, a finely-crafted rug in good condition can have significant value. There are many factors that go into assessing the worth of a hand-knotted rug, and we often find that owners have very little idea of what they really have on their hands.
Benefits of Getting Your Rug Appraised
1. You can document the value for insurance in case the rug is damaged in a fire or flood (or if some savvy art-thief steals it). Remember: if you can’t prove how much it’s worth, the insurance company won’t compensate you for loss.
2. You can confidently ask for a fair price if you ever decide to auction or sell your rug. That’s especially helpful if you are liquidating assets in an estate sale.
3. You will be more consistent about having the professional oriental rug cleaning when you realize how much it’s worth! A rug that is properly maintained will retain its value better over time.
What Factors Affect Oriental Rug Value?
- Knot density (a higher number of knots per square inch increases the value of the rug)
- Age (antique rugs are worth more than newer rugs)
- Condition (rugs with little wear and tear to the fibers fetch a higher price)
- Size, style, and design (a large, intricately patterned rug featuring many colors has higher value than a small, plain rug)
- Materials used (for example, silk is higher in value than wool)
- Country of origin and demand (rare rugs that are popular among collectors but hard to find can be worth a great deal)
All of these factors and more must be evaluated to arrive at a fair market value for a hand-knotted rug. The appraisal process requires an in-depth knowledge of the history and culture of rug production and what’s going on in the rug market right now.
Get Your Rug Appraised
There’s no need to wait for the Antiques Roadshow to come to town to get an appraisal on your rug in Maryland. Ayoub N&H™ Carpet & Rugs is happy to come to your home and evaluate the rug. Or, you can swing by our location in Kensington, MD during our regular business hours to drop off your rug for appraisal. When our expert assessment is complete, you will receive a written appraisal that includes a full description of the rug’s characteristics, and the market retail price.
Call Ayoub N&H™ Carpet & Rugs at 301-615-4879 today!