Are you debating over hiring a professional to clean your rugs and carpets or trying DIY rug cleaning? Here’s everything you need to know about the pros and cons of both options. Let’s start with why your carpets need to be cleaned — and deep cleaned! — regularly. Carpets and rugs are notorious for trapping dust, dirt, and allergens that can lead to polluted indoor air, respiratory irritation, odor. These are just the invisible problems of a dirty carpet. Without regular cleanings, carpets and rugs will start to appear dingy, dull, and visibly soiled. Vacuuming each week is an essential step to keeping your home fresh, and experts recommend a deep cleaning every 12-18 months.
So, what exactly is a deep carpet cleaning, and should you attempt it yourself? The answer may surprise you.
What is a deep cleaning?
For carpets, a deep clean is an in-depth process using profession-grade equipment that systematically cleanses and removes trapped dirt and debris from carpet fibers and below the carpet area. A deep clean penetrates deeper than a simple vacuuming, and can remove stains you may have considered to be permanent. Deep cleaning combines special carpet cleaning agents, hot water/steam, and techniques to eliminate odors, visible dinginess, and allergens.
For rugs, a deep cleaning can get more complicated, depending on the type of rug. All rugs can be deep cleaned and oriental rugs are special candidates for professional cleaning. A deep clean of your rug should cover a detailed checklist that addresses every cleanliness issue. The result? Brand new-looking and clean-smelling rugs that are noticeably brighter and softer.
DIY vs. Professional Carpet and Rug Cleaning
If you are looking to DIY a deep carpet or rug clean, there are equipment rentals, cleaning agents, and guides available to assist you. However; the costly and time-consuming nature of cleaning your rugs yourself is a deterrent for many. Since carpet and rug cleaning is a semi-annual event, turning the task over to professionals will likely save you time and money.
Why Invest Professional Rug Cleaning?
Though you could technically “do it yourself,” you’d need to rent or buy all of the tools and products that a professional rug cleaning service already has, plus spend hours familiarizing yourself with the process and completing the task. With a professional rug or carpet cleaning service, you can rely on years of experience plus a prompt cleaning timeline and trust that the job was done well.
Professional rug cleaners will pick up your rugs, or allow you to drop them off. From there, the deep clean process begins. Here’s everything that happens when you get your rugs professionally cleaned.
- They’ll assess your rugs specific cleaning needs (stains, pet damage, etc.) and begin pretreatment which includes removing embedded soil and vacuuming provided by professional experts with the best quality products.
- Soft bristle brushes are used to wash the rug with soap and water.
- Your rug receives a professional cold water wash and rinse.
- 80% of the excess water is extracted to prevent mold or mildew.
- Fibers are groomed using professional tools for a uniform appearance.
- Climate controlled quick-drying process is used to prevent odors.
- The company conducts a quality control inspection and provides additional treatment if needed.
- Your cleaner performs the final grooming and rolling and returns the rug to you!
Here are some of the reasons why cleaning your own rugs may not be the best idea:
- Some rugs cannot be washed with water and soap and must be dry cleaned.
- You may encourage color bleeding in your rug if proper techniques are not used.
- If your rugs take longer than they should to fully dry, your rugs can develop mold and a strong odor.
- Using the wrong type of soap and/or if soap residue is left in the rug, it can attract soil and feel sticky.
- Risk of damaging the backing of the rug and drying out the adhesive used to secure the fibers.
What tools are used in professional rug cleaning?
To undertake a DIY deep clean of your rug that is up to professional rug-cleaning standards can add up to big costs due to the equipment and time investments needed — and probably won’t be feasible for most people. To truly get your rugs as clean as they should be, industrial-grade products, washers, dusters, vacuums, and drying equipment must be used. Drying your rug quickly is one of the most important steps after the washing. Another reason why you shouldn’t clean your rugs yourself, apart from the cost, is the potential to damage your rugs if cleaning agents or equipment is improperly used.
Trust the experts at Ayoub N&H to thoroughly clean and protect your carpet and rugs for years to come.